Friday, December 30, 2011

Story of Giving from Susan Notheis

I have been involved as an advocate for the Foothill Gold Line Extension public transportation project since 2008. In an effort to provide the San Gabriel Valley with commuter, community and business persons transportation and job opportunities, I have been working to make citizens aware of the benefits of the Gold Line.

I was amazed to learn that the first phase of the line, from Union Station in Los Angeles to the Sierra Madre Villa Station in Pasadena, was completed on-time and under-budget by the Construction Authority in 2003!

I have arranged numerous day trips in 2011 on this portion of the line for family, friends, and co-workers to expose them to the public art, the sites, history, restaurants and shopping available to commuters along the line. One of the most successful trips was a day trip to South Pasadena in April of 2011. Talk about a city with hospitality and pride -- the people at the Chamber of Commerce were amazingly helpful in planning our trip!

These trips have turned many friends and family into enthusiasts for the Gold Line. For my birthday, I was joined by my two young grandchildren on outings using the train, and it is a truly wonderful experience for all of us.

The next phase of the Foothill Extension from Pasadena to Azusa is scheduled to be completed in 2014 with six new stations established in Arcadia, Monrovia, Duarte, Irwindale and two in Azusa. I cannot wait until I can set up day trips to Claremont.

Public transportation at this level is long overdue in Los Angeles, and I love being a part of this terrific volunteer effort. You can learn more at www.metrogoldline.org.

Thank you, Tim, and thank you Broadview, for the opportunity to share one of my passions!

No comments:

Post a Comment